ABSTRACTThe strong interest in cell death, and the shift in emphasis from basic mechanisms to translational aspects fostered the launch last year of the new sister journal of Cell Death and Differentiation, named Cell Death and Disease, to reflect its stronger focus
towards clinical applications. Here, we review that first year of activity, which reflects an enthusiastic response by the scientific community. On the basis of this, we now launch two novel initiatives, the start of a new section dedicated to cancer metabolism
and the opening of a new editorial office in Shanghai.
REFERENCES1. Cohen PL, Eisenberg RA. Lpr and gld: single gene models of systemic autoimmunity and lymphoproliferative disease. Ann Rev Immunol 1991; 9: 243–269.
2. Wertz IE, Dixit VM. Regulation of death receptor signaling by the ubiquitin system. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17: 14–24.
3. Silke J, Brink R. Regulation of TNFRSF and innate immune signalling complexes by TRAFs and cIAPs. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17: 35–45.
4. Wicovsky A, Salzmann S, Roos C, Ehrenschwender M, Rosenthal T, Siegmund D et al. TNF-like weak inducer of apoptosis inhibits proinflammatory TNF receptor-1 signaling. Cell Death Differ 2009; 16: 1445–1459.
5. Berghe TV, Vanlangenakker N, Parthoens E, Deckers W, Devos M, Festjens N et al. Necroptosis, necrosis and secondary necrosis converge on similar cellular disintegration features. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17: 922–930.
6. Fan Y, Lee TV, Xu D, Chen Z, Lamblin AF, Steller H et al. Dual roles of Drosophila p53 in cell death and cell differentiation. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17: 912–921.
7. Marine JC. p53 stabilization: the importance of nuclear import. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17: 191–192.
8. Marchenko ND, Hanel W, Li D, Becker K, Reich N, Moll UM. Stress-mediated nuclear stabilization of p53 is regulated by ubiquitination and importin-alpha3 binding. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17: 255–267.
9. Bernassola F, Ciechanover A, Melino G. The ubiquitin proteasome system and its involvement in cell death pathways. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17: 1–3.
10. Tomasini R, Mak TW, Melino G. The impact of p53 and p73 on aneuploidy and cancer. Trends Cell Biol 2008; 18: 244–252.
11. Levine AJ, Tomasini R, McKeon FD, Mak TW, Melino G. The p53 family: guardians of maternal reproduction. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2011; 12: 259–265.
12. Bernassola F, Karin M, Ciechanover A, Melino G. The HECT family of E3 ubiquitin ligases: multiple players in cancer development.. Cancer Cell 2008; 14: 10–21.
13. Tomasini R, Tsuchihara K, Wilhelm M, Fujitani M, Rufini A, Cheung CC et al. TAp73 knockout shows genomic instability with infertility and tumor suppressor functions. Genes Develpment 2008; 22: 2677–2691.
14. Tomasini R, Tsuchihara K, Tsuda C, Lau SK, Wilhelm M, Rufini A et al. TAp73 regulates the spindle assembly checkpoint by modulating BubR1 activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009; 106: 797–802.
15. Kroemer G, Galluzzi L, Vandenabeele P, Abrams J, Alnemri ES, Baehrecke EH et al. Classification of cell death: recommendations of the Nomenclature Committee on cell death 2009. Cell Death Differ 2009; 16: 3–11.
16. Galluzzi L, Aaronson SA, Abrams J, Alnemri ES, Andrews DW, Baehrecke EH et al. Guidelines for the use and interpretation of assays for monitoring cell death in higher eukaryotes. Cell Death Differ 2009; 16: 1093–1107.
17. Alajez NM, ShiW, Hui AB, Bruce J, Lenarduzzi M, Ito E et al. Enhancer of Zeste homolog 2 (EZH2) is overexpressed in recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma and is regulated by miR-26a, miR-101, and miR-98. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e85.
18. Tenedini E, Roncaglia E, Ferrari F, Orlandi C, Bianchi E, Bicciato S et al. Integrated analysis of microRNA and mRNA expression profiles in physiological myelopoiesis: role of hsa-mir-299-5p in CD34+ progenitor cells commitment. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e28.
19. Yelamanchili SV, Chaudhuri AD, Chen LN, Xiong H, Fox HS. MicroRNA-21 dysregulates the expression of MEF2C in neurons in monkey and human SIV/HIV neurological disease. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e77.
20. Bhatnagar N, Li X, Padi SK, Zhang Q, Tang MS, Guo B. Downregulation of miR-205 and miR-31 confers resistance to chemotherapy-induced apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e105.
21. Lian J, Tian H, Liu L, Zhang XS, Li WQ, Deng YM et al. Downregulation of microRNA-383 is associated with male infertility and promotes testicular embryonal carcinoma cell proliferation by targeting IRF1. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e94.
22. Cummins NW, Badley AD. Mechanisms of HIV-associated lymphocyte apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e99.
23. Wu PC, Wang Q, Dong ZM, Chu E, Roberson RS, Ivanova IC et al. Expression of coxsackie and adenovirus receptor distinguishes transitional cancer states in therapyinduced cellular senescence. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e70.
24. El-Fadili AK, Zangger H, Desponds C, Gonzalez IJ, Zalila H, Schaff C et al. Cathepsin B-like and cell death in the unicellular human pathogen Leishmania. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e71.
25. Ch’ng JH, Kotturi SR, Chong AG, Lear MJ, Tan KS. A programmed cell death pathway in the malaria parasite plasmodium falciparum has general features of mammalian apoptosis but is mediated by clan CA cysteine proteases. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e26.
26. Perrone L, Devi TS, Hosoya KI, Terasaki T, Singh LP. Inhibition of TXNIP expression in vivo blocks early pathologies of diabetic retinopathy. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e65.
27. Calandrella N, De Seta C, Scarsella G, Risuleo G. Carnitine reduces the lipoperoxidative damage of the membrane and apoptosis after induction of cell stress in experimental glaucoma. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e62.
28. Pasupuleti N, Matsuyama S, Voss O, Doseff AI, Song K, Danielpour D et al. The antiapoptotic function of human aA-crystallin is directly related to its chaperone activity. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e31.
29. Allen-Petersen BL, Miller MR, Neville MC, Anderson SM, Nakayama KI, Reyland ME. Loss of protein kinase C delta alters mammary gland development and apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e17.
30. Dı´az-Manera J, Touvier T, Dellavalle A, Tonlorenzi R, Tedesco FS, Messina G et al. Partial dysferlin reconstitution by adult murine mesoangioblasts is sufficient for full functional recovery in a murine model of dysferlinopathy. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e61.
31. Karaoz E, Genc¸ ZS, Demircan PC¸ , Aksoy A, Duruksu G. Protection of rat pancreatic islet function and viability by coculture with rat bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e36.
32. Francis KR, Wei L. Human embryonic stem cell neural differentiation and enhanced cell survival promoted by hypoxic preconditioning. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e22.
33. Marino ML, Fais S, Djavaheri-Mergny M, Villa A, Meschini S, Lozupone F et al. Proton pump inhibition induces autophagy as a survival mechanism following oxidative stress in human melanoma cells. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e87.
34. Flourakis M, Lehen’kyi V, Beck B, Raphae¨ l M, Vandenberghe M, Abeele FV. Orai1 contributes to the establishment of an apoptosis-resistant phenotype in prostate cancer cells. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e75.
35. Chan KS, Wong CH, Huang YF, Li HY. Survivin withdrawal by nuclear export failure as a physiological switch to commit cells to apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e57.
36. Li Q, Li H, Roughton K, Wang X, Kroemer G, Blomgren K et al. Lithium reduces apoptosis and autophagy after neonatal hypoxia-ischemia. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e56.
37. Rello-Varona S, Kepp O, Vitale I, Michaud M, Senovilla L, Jemaa` M et al. An automated fluorescence videomicroscopy assay for the detection of mitotic catastrophe. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e25.
38. McKeller MR, Herrera-Rodriguez S, Ma W, Ortiz-Quintero B, Rangel R, Cande´ C et al. Vital function of PRELI and essential requirement of its LEA motif. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e21.
39. Deng L, Feng J, Broaddus RR. The novel estrogen-induced gene EIG121 regulates autophagy and promotes cell survival under stress. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e32.
40. Silver N, Proctor GB, Arno M, Carpenter GH. Activation of mTOR coincides with autophagy during ligation-induced atrophy in the rat submandibular gland. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e14.
41. McCoy F, Hurwitz J, McTavish N, Paul I, Barnes C, O’Hagan B et al. Obatoclax induces Atg7-dependent autophagy independent of beclin-1 and BAX/BAK. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e108.
42. Wirawan E, Vande Walle L, Kersse K, Cornelis S, Claerhout S, Vanoverberghe I et al. Caspase-mediated cleavage of beclin-1 inactivates beclin-1-induced autophagy and enhances apoptosis by promoting the release of proapoptotic factors from mitochondria. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e18.
43. Engel T, Tanaka K, Jimenez-Mateos EM, Caballero-Caballero A, Prehn JH, Henshall DC. Loss of p53 results in protracted electrographic seizures and development of an aggravated epileptic phenotype following status epilepticus. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e79.
44. Meley D, Spiller DG, White MR, McDowell H, Pizer B, Se´e V. p53-mediated delayed NF-kB activity enhances etoposide-induced cell death in medulloblastoma. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e41.
45. Barton CE, Johnson KN, Mays DM, Boehnke K, Shyr Y, Boukamp P et al. Novel p63 target genes involved in paracrine signaling and keratinocyte differentiation. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e74.
46. Mitchell G, Fillinger J, Sittadjody S, Avila J, Burd R, Limesand K. IGF1 activates cell cycle arrest following irradiation by reducing binding of DNp63 to the p21 promoter. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e50.
47. Gonzalez-Cano L, Herreros-Villanueva M, Fernandez-Alonso R, Ayuso-Sacido A, Meyer G, Garcia-Verdugo JM et al. p73 deficiency results in impaired self renewal and premature neuronal differentiation of mouse neural progenitors independently of p53. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e109.
48. Straub WE, Weber TA, Scha¨ fer B, Candi E, Durst F, Ou HD et al. The C-terminus of p63 contains multiple regulatory elements with different functions. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e5.
49. Yuan M, Luong P, Hudson C, Gudmundsdottir K, Basu S. c-Abl phosphorylation of DNp63a is critical for cell viability. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e16.
50. Fricker M, O’Prey J, Tolkovsky AM, Ryan KM. Phosphorylation of Puma modulates its apoptotic function by regulating protein stability. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e59.
51. Tischner D, Woess C, Ottina E, Villunger A. Bcl-2-regulated cell death signalling in the prevention of autoimmunity. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e48.
52. Placzek WJ, Wei J, Kitada S, Zhai D, Reed JC, Pellecchia M. A survey of the antiapoptotic Bcl-2 subfamily expression in cancer types provides a platform to predict the efficacy of Bcl-2 antagonists in cancer therapy. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e40.
53. Esposti MD. Bcl-2 antagonists and cancer: from the clinic, back to the bench. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e37.
54. Jiang CC, Lai F, Tay KH, Croft A, Rizos H, Becker TM et al. Apoptosis of human melanoma cells induced by inhibition of B-RAFV600E involves preferential splicing of bimS. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e69.
55. Rigaud O, Fortunel NO, Vaigot P, Cadio E, Martin MT, Lundh O et al. Exploring ultrashort high-energy electron-induced damage in human carcinoma cells. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e73.
56. Janson V, Johansson A, Grankvist K. Resistance to caspase-8 and -9 fragments in a malignant pleural mesothelioma cell line with acquired cisplatin-resistance. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e78.
57. Heidari N, Hicks MA, Harada H. GX15-070 (obatoclax) overcomes glucocorticoid resistance in acute lymphoblastic leukemia through induction of apoptosis and autophagy. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e76.
58. Gonzalez-Mejia ME, Voss OH, Murnan EJ, Doseff AI. Apigenin-induced apoptosis of leukemia cells is mediated by a bimodal and differentially regulated residue-specific phosphorylation of heat-shock protein-27. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e64.
59. Wemeau M, Kepp O, Tesnie` re A, Panaretakis T, Flament C, De Botton S et al. Calreticulin exposure on malignant blasts predicts a cellular anticancer immune response in patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e104.
60. Sears D, Luong P, Yuan M, Nteliopoulos G, Man YK, Melo JV et al. Functional phosphoproteomic analysis reveals cold-shock domain protein A to be a Bcr-Abl effectorregulating proliferation and transformation in chronic myeloid leukemia. Cell Death Dis
2010; 1: e93.
61. Bennett HL, Fleming JT, O’Prey J, Ryan KM, Leung HY. Androgens modulate autophagy and cell death via regulation of the endoplasmic reticulum chaperone glucose-regulated protein 78/BiP in prostate cancer cells. Cell Death Dis 1: e72.
62. Tomiyama A, Tachibana K, Suzuki K, Seino S, Sunayama J, Matsuda KI et al. MEK-ERKdependent multiple caspase activation by mitochondrial proapoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins is essential for heavy ion irradiation-induced glioma cell death. Cell Death Dis
2010; 1: e60.
63. Hervouet E, Vallette FM, Cartron PF. Impact of the DNA methyltransferases expression on the methylation status of apoptosis-associated genes in glioblastoma multiforme. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e8.
64. Romano S, D’Angelillo A, Staibano S, Ilardi G, Romano MF. FK506-binding protein 51 is a possible novel tumoral marker. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e55.
65. Karasawa T, Wang Q, David LL, Steyger PS. CLIMP-63 is a gentamicin-binding protein that is involved in drug-induced cytotoxicity. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e102.
66. Wang Y, Nangia-Makker P, Balan V, Hogan V, Raz A. Calpain activation through galectin-3 inhibition sensitizes prostate cancer cells to cisplatin treatment. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e101.
67. Lacombe S, Sabatier L, Wien F, Gauduel YA. Spatio-temporal radiation biology: new insights and biomedical perspectives. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e4.
68. Ruela-de-Sousa RR, Fuhler GM, Blom N, Ferreira CV, Aoyama H, Peppelenbosch MP. Cytotoxicity of apigenin on leukemia cell lines: implications for prevention and therapy. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e19.
69. Sayeed A, Meng Z, Luciani G, Chen LC, Bennington JL, Dairkee SH. Negative regulation of UCP2 by TGFb signaling characterizes low and intermediate-grade primary breast cancer. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e53.
70. Meltser V, Ben-Yehoyada M, Reuven N, Shaul Y. c-Abl downregulates the slow phase of double-strand break repair. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e20.
71. Lei WW, Zhang KH, Pan XC, Wang DM, Hu Y, Yang YN et al. Histone deacetylase 1 and 2 differentially regulate apoptosis by opposing effects on extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e44.
72. Guardiola-Serrano F, Rossin A, Cahuzac N, Lu¨ckerath K, Melzer I, Mailfert S et al. Palmitoylation of human FasL modulates its cell death-inducing function. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e88.
73. Schneider-Jakob S, Corazza N, Badmann A, Sidler D, Stuber-Roos R, Keogh A et al. Synergistic induction of cell death in liver tumor cells by TRAIL and chemotherapeutic drugs via the BH3-only proteins Bim and Bid. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e86.
74. Reis CR, van der Sloot AM, Natoni A, Szegezdi E, Setroikromo R, Meijer M et al. Rapid and efficient cancer cell killing mediated by high-affinity death receptor homotrimerizing TRAIL variants. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e83.
75. Cheng JP, Betin VM, Weir H, Shelmani GM, Moss DK, Lane JD. Caspase cleavage of the Golgi stacking factor GRASP65 is required for Fas/CD95-mediated apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e82.
76. Schneider B, Mu¨ nkel S, Krippner-Heidenreich A, Grunwald I, Wels WS, Wajant H et al. Potent antitumoral activity of TRAIL through generation of tumor-targeted single-chain fusion proteins. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e68.
77. Tadokoro D, Takahama S, Shimizu K, Hayashi S, Endo Y, Sawasaki T. Characterization of a caspase-3-substrate kinome using an N- and C-terminally tagged protein kinase library produced by a cell-free system. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e89.
78. Jalmar O, Garcı´a-Sa´ez AJ, Berland L, Gonzalvez F, Petit PX. Giant unilamellar vesicles (GUVs) as a new tool for analysis of caspase-8/Bid-FL complex binding to cardiolipin and its functional activity. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e103.
79. Matteucci C, Minutolo A, Balestrieri E, Marino-Merlo F, Bramanti P, Garaci E et al. Inhibition of NF-kB activation sensitizes U937 cells to 30-azido-30-deoxythymidine induced apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e81.
80. Lam D, Shah S, de Castro IP, Loh SH, Martins LM. Drosophila happyhour modulates JNK-dependent apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e66.
81. Tomlinson V, Gudmundsdottir K, Luong P, Leung KY, Knebel A, Basu S. JNK phosphorylates Yes-associated protein (YAP) to regulate apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e29.
82. Brandt B, Abou-Eladab EF, Tiedge M, Walzel H. Role of the JNK/c-Jun/AP-1 signaling pathway in galectin-1-induced T-cell death. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e23.
83. Chu KM, Minogue S, Hsuan JJ, Waugh MG. Differential effects of the phosphatidylinositol 4-kinases, PI4KIIa and PI4KIIIb, on Akt activation and apoptosis.Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e106.
84. Lanzillotta A, Sarnico I, Ingrassia R, Boroni F, Branca C, Benarese M et al. The acetylation of RelA in Lys310 dictates the NF-kB-dependent response in post-ischemic injury. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e96.
85. Wabnitz GH, Goursot C, Jahraus B, Kirchgessner H, Hellwig A, Klemke M et al. Mitochondrial translocation of oxidized cofilin induces caspase-independent necrotic-like programmed cell death of T cells. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e58.
86. Zhao C, Tan YC, Wong WC, Sem X, Zhang H, Han H et al. The CD14 (+/low) CD16(+) monocyte subset is more susceptible to spontaneous and oxidant-induced apoptosis than the CD14(+)CD16() subset. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e95.
87. Karlberg M, Ekoff M, Labi V, Strasser A, Huang D, Nilsson G. Pro-apoptotic Bax is the major and Bak an auxiliary effector in cytokine deprivation-induced mast cell apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e43.
88. Sikkink LA, Ramirez-Alvarado M. Cytotoxicity of amyloidogenic immunoglobulin light chains in cell culture. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e98.
89. Gorvel L, Al Moussawi K, Ghigo E, Capo C, Mege JL, Desnues B. Tropheryma whipplei, the Whipple’s disease bacillus, induces macrophage apoptosis through the extrinsic pathway. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e34.
90. Ben Mosbah I, Alfany-Ferna´ndez I, Martel C, Zaouali MA, Bintanel-Morcillo M, Rimola A et al. Endoplasmic reticulum stress inhibition protects steatotic and nonsteatotic livers in partial hepatectomy under ischemia-reperfusion. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e52.
91. Knauer SK, Heinrich UR, Bier C, Habtemichael N, Docter D, Helling K et al. An otoprotective role for the apoptosis inhibitor protein survivin. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e51.
92. Fujita E, Dai H, Tanabe Y, Zhiling Y, Yamagata T, Miyakawa T et al. Autism spectrum disorder is related to endoplasmic reticulum stress induced by mutations in the synaptic cell adhesion molecule, CADM1. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e47.
93. Paoletti R, Maffei A, Madaro L, Notte A, Stanganello E, Cifelli G et al. Protein kinase Cy is required for cardiomyocyte survival and cardiac remodeling. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e45. 94. Giampietri C, Petrungaro S, Coluccia P, Antonangeli F, Giannakakis K, Faraggiana T et al. c-Flip overexpression affects satellite cell proliferation and promotes skeletal muscle aging. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e38.
95. Manning JA, Kumar S. A potential role for NEDD1 and the centrosome in senescence of mouse embryonic fibroblasts. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e35.
96. Upreti M, Koonce NA, Hennings L, Chambers TC, Griffin RJ. Pegylated IFN-a sensitizes melanoma cells to chemotherapy and causes premature senescence in endothelial cells by IRF-1 mediated signaling. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e67.
97. Schmid R, Schiffner S, Opolka A, Gra¨ ssel S, Schubert T, Moser M et al. Enhanced cartilage regeneration in MIA/CD-RAP deficient mice. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e97.
98. Bose R, Moors M, Tofighi R, Cascante A, Hermanson O, Ceccatelli S. Glucocorticoids induce long-lasting effects in neural stem cells resulting in senescence-related alterations. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e92.
99. Blagosklonny MV. Linking calorie restriction to longevity through sirtuins and autophagy: any role for TOR. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e12.
100. Kroemer G, Nicotera P, Melino G. Cell death and disease: a new journal for a central area of pathophysiology. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e11.
101. Morselli E, Maiuri MC, Markaki M, Megalou E, Pasparaki A, Palikaras K et al. Caloric restriction and resveratrol promote longevity through the Sirtuin-1-dependent induction of autophagy. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e10.
102. Ciavardelli D, Silvestri E, Viscovo AD, Bomba M, Gregorio DD, Moreno M et al. Alterations of brain and cerebellar proteomes linked to Ab and tau pathology in a female tripletransgenic murine model of Alzheimer’s disease. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e90.
103. Osato K, Sato Y, Ochiishi T, Osato A, Zhu C, Sato M et al. Apoptosis-inducing factor deficiency decreases the proliferation rate and protects the subventricular zone against ionizing radiation. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e84.
104. Dribben WH, Eisenman LN, Mennerick S. Magnesium induces neuronal apoptosis by suppressing excitability. Cell Death Dis 201; 1: e63.
105. Ruiz A, Matute C, Alberdi E. Intracellular Ca2+ release through ryanodine receptors contributes to AMPA receptor-mediated mitochondrial dysfunction and ER stress in oligodendrocytes. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e54.
106. Wang G, Bieberich E. Prenatal alcohol exposure triggers ceramide-induced apoptosis in neural crest-derived tissues concurrent with defective cranial development. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e46.
107. Almasieh M, Zhou Y, Kelly ME, Casanova C, Di Polo A. Structural and functional neuroprotection in glaucoma: role of galantamine-mediated activation of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e27.
108. Sancho-Pelluz J, Alavi MV, Sahaboglu A, Kustermann S, Farinelli P, Azadi S et al. Excessive HDAC activation is critical for neurodegeneration in the rd1 mouse. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e24.
109. Zhu S, Zhang Y, Bai G, Li H. Necrostatin-1 ameliorates symptoms in R6/2 transgenic mouse model of Huntington’s disease. Cell Death Dis 2011; 2: e115.
110. Yacoubian TA, Slone SR, Harrington AJ, Hamamichi S, Schieltz JM, Caldwell KA et al. Differential neuroprotective effects of 14-3-3 proteins in models of Parkinson’s disease. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e2.
111. Lee MH, Lin SR, Chang JY, Schultz L, Heath J, Hsu LJ et al. TGF-b induces TIAF1 selfaggregation via type II receptor-independent signaling that leads to generation of amyloid b plaques in Alzheimer’s disease. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e110.
112. Sivananthan SN, Lee AW, Goodyer CG, LeBlanc AC. Familial amyloid precursor protein mutants cause caspase-6-dependent but amyloid b-peptide-independent neuronal degeneration in primary human neuron cultures. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e100.
113. Sassone J, Colciago C, Marchi P, Ascardi C, Alberti L, Di Pardo A et al. Mutant Huntingtin induces activation of the Bcl-2/adenovirus E1B 19-kDa interacting protein (BNip3). Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e7.
114. Burnstock G, Verkhratsky A. Long-term (trophic) purinergic signalling: purinoceptors control cell proliferation, differentiation and death. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e9.
115. Di Guardo G, Marruchella G. Prions and neuronal death. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e6. No abstract available.
116. Cordeiro MF, Guo L, Coxon KM, Duggan J, Nizari S, Normando EM et al. Imaging multiple phases of neurodegeneration: a novel approach to assessing cell death in vivo. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e3.
117. Bunk EC, Ko¨ nig HG, Bernas T, Engel T, Henshall DC, Kirby BP et al. BH3-only proteins BIM and PUMA in the regulation of survival and neuronal differentiation of newly generated cells in the adult mouse hippocampus. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e15.
118. Chi S, Cai W, Liu P, Zhang Z, Chen X, Gao L et al. Baifuzi reduces transient ischemic brain damage through an interaction with the STREX domain of BKCa channels. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e13.
119. Rodrı´guez JJ, Witton J, Olabarria M, Noristani HN, Verkhratsky A. Increase in the density of resting microglia precedes neuritic plaque formation and microglial activation in a transgenic model of Alzheimer’s disease. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e1.
120. Corona C, Masciopinto F, Silvestri E, Viscovo AD, Lattanzio R, Sorda RL et al. Dietary zinc supplementation of 3xTg-AD mice increases BDNF levels and prevents cognitive deficits as well as mitochondrial dysfunction. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e91.
121. Flanagan L, Sebastia` J, Tuffy LP, Spring A, Lichawska A, Devocelle M et al. XIAP impairs Smac release from the mitochondria during apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e49.
122. Tejedo JR, Tapia-Limonchi R, Mora-Castilla S, Cahuana GM, Hmadcha A, Martin F et al. Low concentrations of nitric oxide delay the differentiation of embryonic stem cells and promote their survival. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e80.
123. Nicolai J, Burbassi S, Rubin J, Meucci O. CXCL12 inhibits expression of the NMDA receptor’s NR2B subunit through a histone deacetylase-dependent pathway contributing to neuronal survival. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e33.
124. Scheiman J, Jamieson KV, Ziello J, Tseng JC, Meruelo D. Extraribosomal functions associated with the C terminus of the 37/67 kDa laminin receptor are required for maintaining cell viability. Cell Death Dis 2010; 1: e42.